12 April, 2011

Every Journey of a 1,000 miles begins with a single step

After reading so many positive and interesting articles and posts on a variety of other blogs, I have decided to start my own.  I am hoping to unite my hobby (I call it a hobby, but its mostly a way of life) with another interest - writing.

I guess I should introduce myself.  I am a Canadian martial artist who has trained in karate for over a decade at this point.  I began in a synthesis of Shotokan Karate, Judo and Jujutsu.  I continued in a pure Shotokan school for a while until achieving my Shodan.  After my Shodan, I switched to a great Goju Ryu Karate school where the training consists of a broad Goju syllabus supplemented with Jujutsu and chinese-based methods and forms.  As a compliment to Karate, Sai is also taught to yudansha students.

I am currently a Sandan, with my Yondan steadily approaching.  As a part of Yondan (for my organization) some familiarity with Iaido is required so as a result I have started training in that art as well.  The subtle differences in Seitei gata and Koryu never cease to amaze and confuse me, but more on that later.

I hope to chronicle my training, my thoughts, and bounce around interesting ideas.  Maybe this will interest others as well, as feedback is always appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment